The Hawkesbury River Railway Bridges by William (Bill) Phippen OAM, was published by the Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Division (ARHSnsw) in 2018 and in 2019 was awarded a Colin Crisp Award for documentation of engineering heritage.
The book covers the history of two bridges at this site: the original one opened in 1889 and the replacement completed in 1946.
The first bridge, built by an American contractor in 1889, replaced a slow cross-river ferry transfer, and opened the artery of regional development with the speed and convenience of rail from Sydney to Newcastle and further North. The second bridge, opened in 1946, was a triumph of wartime ingenuity over adversity and, at the time, was one of the greatest examples of technical endeavour by the NSW Railways.
Copyright @William Phippen and he Australian Railway Historical Society, NSW Division, 2018